Greetings from the ICIBEL 2017 Committee!
Calling for the next generation of Innovators!
We would like to invite you to participate in the “Asia Pacific Medical Device Design Competition 2017” for an opportunity to win lucrative cash prizes!
The “Asia Pacific Medical Device Design Competition 2017” is organized as part of an exciting line-up of activities in conjunction with the International Conference for Innovation in Biomedical Engineering and Life Sciences (ICIBEL2017) and the Asia Pacific Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering (APCMBE) which will be held in Penang (10th – 13th December 2017) (Conference info)
Asia Pacific Medical Device Design Competition 2017
“Improving Healthcare for Resource-Scarce Communities”
In addition, each of the 6 finalists will be provided with a travel grant of up to US$1,000 sponsored by IFMBE. The travel grant will help to defray the cost of the following:
- Most direct economy return airfare
- Conference registration fee at student rate
- 3 nights accommodation up to US$100 per night
Claims will be on reimbursement basis upon presentation of official receipts.
15 October 2017
Theme of Competition
The focus of the competition is on the design of appropriate technology to improve healthcare in resource-scarce communities. The designs will be judged according the following four criteria:
- Potential benefit(s) to the healthcare of resource-scarce communities
- Low cost and ease of deployment
- Viability of the design and potential to reach the market
- All team members must be bona-fide students (undergraduate and/or postgraduate) as of 1st April, 2017.
- The projects must have been carried out in the students’ institutions.
- Number of members per team can be up to 5.
All valid submissions will be reviewed by a judging committee. Six (6) submissions will be shortlisted for the competition.
All shortlisted submissions of the competition are required to present and demonstrate their design during the joint ICIBEL2017/APCMBE2017 conference. Thus it is mandatory that all shortlisted teams (or their respective representatives) must register and attend the ICIBEL2017/APCMBE2017 conference, failing which will result in the team being disqualified from the competition.
All submissions must be made done online via the conference website. Under “USER HOME” choose “New Submission” then choose track with the title of “MEDICAL DEVICE DESIGN COMPETITION 2017” (click here)
Please ensure that you are registered as an author for the submission (note: we use the same portal as in the conference paper submission)
Each submission should consist of:
- (Mandatory) A pdf document with a maximum of 3,000 words and no more than 10 illustrations or figures.
- (Optional) A video, not exceeding 5 minutes to demonstrate the working of the prototype.