- Asia Pacific Medical Device Design Competition 2017
“Improving healthcare for Resource-Scarce Communities”
The medical device design competition is organized by the Asia Pacific Working Group of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering (IFMBE) during the 2nd International Conference for Innovation in Biomedical Engineering and Life Sciences (ICIBEL2017) in conjunction with the 10th Asia Pacific Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering (APCMBE 2017) in Penang, Malaysia from 10th-13th December 2017.
There will be cash prizes awarded to the 6 finalists. Each cash prize will be accompanied by an official award certificate.
In addition, each of the 6 finalists will be provided with a travel grant of up to US$1,000 sponsored by IFMBE. Claims will be on reimbursement basis.
Theme of Competition
The focus of the competition is on the design of appropriate technology to improve healthcare in resource-scarce communities. The designs will be judged according the following four criteria:
- Potential benefit(s) to the healthcare of resource-scarce communities
- Low cost and ease of deployment
- Viability of the design and potential to reach the market
- All team members must be bona-fide students (undergraduate and/or postgraduate) as of 1st April, 2017.
- The projects must have been carried out in the students’ institutions.
- Number of members per team can be up to 5.
All valid submissions will be reviewed by a judging committee. Six (6) submissions will be shortlisted for the competition.
All shortlisted submissions of the competition are required to present and demonstrate their design during the joint ICIBEL2017/APCMBE2017 conference. Thus it is mandatory that all shortlisted teams (or their respective representatives) must register and attend the ICIBEL2017/APCMBE2017 conference, failing which will result in the team being disqualified from the competition.
All submissions must be made done online via the conference website. Under “USER HOME” choose “New Submission” then choose track with the title of “MEDICAL DEVICE DESIGN COMPETITION 2017” (click here)
Each submission should consist of:
- (Mandatory) A pdf document with a maximum of 3,000 words and no more than 10 illustrations or figures.
(Optional) A video, not exceeding 5 minutes to demonstrate the working of the prototype.